Re: Topband: Listening west on 160

To: RonSpencer <ronspencer@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Listening west on 160
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 05:45:02 -1000

Besides signals being harder to hear to the west when the west is in
daylight for the reasons Tom pointed out I listen east to maximize my
multiplier count. If there is propagation to Europe I can work many mults
much easier then I can dig out those mults on the west coast. I know I can
listen that direction later in the evening and work them much faster then.
When I lived on the west coast we would maximize our time listening towards
JA when that window was open to maximize the high point count Qs. Same idea.

Ron N4XD

Agree you listen where you think most mults are, what I have heard from here
at least is during the contest the big guns being called by mults here in the
Pacific, not KH6, but for instance T32, ZK2, V73, etc in the last couple
contests, and these stations were not in the contest for all night operation,
just for sunset and perhaps sunrise contacts for "fun". So by the time the
east coast and midwest stations got around to thinking it was time to
listen west these guys are gone to bed, and you wont catch them later
as when it time to get up here and work "DX" at sunrise you guys are
hours into daylite. So no doubt there are mults lost due to many factors,
I dont care if its noise, absorbtion, or operator error, just trying to say
in a nice way some guys are missing good mults that I hear calling them
from out here. But then one may assume that they have the proverbial
8 DB radials installed and are alligators and deaf both?
Merv K9FD/KH6