Re: Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines

To: Topband Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines
From: John Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:56:54 -0500
On Feb 22, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Bill Gaines AD8P wrote:

> Before I invest in the materials and the physical effort to install
> I thought I would pose this question to the reflector. Has anyone
> ever installed a beverage below the HV power lines that feed
> neighborhoods? Behind my house runs the power lines for Main Street
> USA. I am guessing them to be about 40' high. The telephone
> feedlines are mounted just below the power lines. On the ground
> running in the same direction is a farm fence made of steel wire in
> 4" squares. I am sure you have all seen them before. What if I
> mounted a beverage maybe 2,3,4,5 (you fill in a number) feet above
> the fence but still several feet below the power lines. Do you
> think it would hear better than my vertical? How about just running
> a beverage right beside the fence but still under the power lines?
> Should I terminate it or leave it unterminated? Has anyone done
> this before and what were your results?

The "low tension" power lines that run along the back of my property
are a "mere" 7000 volts. In the two years that I have lived at this
QTH, those lines have come down three times (ice storm, wind, etc.).

I'm not putting anything that can conduct electricity anywhere near
where those lines might land.

73,

John Bastin K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com