Re: Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Below Power Lines
From: Gilles RENUCCI <ve2tzt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:16:14 +0000
Bill,

I have some beverages not directly beneath but not too far from HV 32,000 V
powerline and even if  I cannot say if the power line inducesses some noise
or not on them, it is sure that the reception if far better on those
beverages than on the transmitting antenna.

BUT, SAFETY FIRST ! At my location, the power line is often broken by the
fall of a tree ( 3 times last year) and fall down onto the ground. The
arcing to the ground is very impressive to see and it needs several long
minutes before the current to be switched off (which is different from the
case of lightning). I prefer not to imagine what could happen if I had a
beverage just beneath, going in direct contact with the power line !

So, I DO NOT RECOMMAND you to put an antenna at a place where the HV power
line could fall. It includes all the area at a distance equal the height of
the power line mast.

Perhaps some folks have a protection system for this type of situation. For
me, I prefer not take the risk.

73's, Gilles / VE2TZT