Re: Topband: Popularity of Topband in JA land

To: W9UCW@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Popularity of Topband in JA land
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 23:03:47 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2007 9:20:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,  W9UCW@aol.com
writes:

To  W2PM,
I guess Louis gave a good feel for the answer to  that question.  For my
part,
being niether a "Big Gun" nor a "Gung Ho" DX chaser,  it  would seem that
there are lots of 160 operators in JA who are doing   well with cramped
quarters.
In the last 10 years or so I have logged  181  different JA calls, and have
worked many of them up to 10 or  20  times.

They seem to be great operators and it would   follow that they get the most
from their layout. Perseverance seems to be  one of  their greatest traits,
and
I have tried to learn from that.

When you either don't have the room or perhaps  the wherewithall  to to put
up
a monster station, persistance and being a good   listener will often get the
job done. A good sense of humor and  remembering that  someone will get to
that
speck of earth again  someday helps, too.

Barry, W9UCW

W2PM Replies -

All the responses were very interesting. I did expect there were lots more
than I heard - 1! But without a NW antenna I can't expect too much more. I do
work JA very easily on 80 - and with the same antenna I use on 160 - a 1/4
wave  Inv L - but of course it's all about the rx end - if you can't hear them,

etc.  I remember getting emails from VK's who called me on 160 and I  couldn't
hear them until I put up a SW Flag, altho I have worked VK and ZL with  a
magnetic loop too.  I once couldn't hear EU from here too - until I  focused on
the noise and the right antenna in that direction.  But despite  the JA and
Asia frustration = this IS what makes 160 worth spending nearly all  my time
on.
http://www.aol.com.