Re: Topband: Popularity of Topband in JA land

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Popularity of Topband in JA land
From: W9UCW@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:15:20 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2007 11:01:41 AM Central Standard Time,
topband-request@contesting.com writes:

Does  anyone have a feel for how popular 160 really is in
JA?  If I  were to assess that from my JA 160 experience I'd say there
aren't
any !   ;<

To W2PM,
I guess Louis gave a good feel for the answer to  that question. For my part,
being niether a "Big Gun" nor a "Gung Ho" DX chaser,  it would seem that
there are lots of 160 operators in JA who are doing  well with cramped
quarters.
In the last 10 years or so I have logged 181  different JA calls, and have
worked many of them up to 10 or 20  times.

They seem to be great operators and it would  follow that they get the most
from their layout. Perseverance seems to be one of  their greatest traits, and
I have tried to learn from that.

When you either don't have the room or perhaps  the wherewithall to to put up
a monster station, persistance and being a good  listener will often get the
job done. A good sense of humor and remembering that  someone will get to that
speck of earth again someday helps, too.

Barry, W9UCW
http://www.aol.com.