Topband: DXE 4 SQ RX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: DXE 4 SQ RX
From: "k4pi" <k4pi@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:23:21 -0000
I am posting this info as I have not been able to answer all the responses I
got on the DXE 4 SQ RX system.  I was able to get back to the antenna farm
last night to do some checks.

1.  There was no background noise increase when connecting the antenna to
the radio.  I had also put the FT1000MP into FLAT mode from TUNED which I
normally use.  I believe there is a 10 Db difference in the two.

2.  I added a 20 DB Ameco preamp at the line at the radio and with full gain
turned in the background noise is around S2 to S3 compared to a 800 ft
unterminated which has S5 to S6 with no amp.  Without the amp the 4 sq was
S0.

3.  The 4 sq seems to hear anything the 800 ft wire hears but I run out of
volume control in trying to hear the 4 sq signals and may need a audio amp
for the headset.  This 1000MP has always had low volume.  I modified a QF1A
to include an audio amp for the home station.

4.  The F/S is super on 160 but the F/B does not seem to be as good as I
hear on the BC band.  It does have some but I will need to look at this
closer.

So I see the 4 Sq Rx is indeed working but needs a little help.  I can hear
signals without the preamp but they are so far down I don't have enough
audio to recover them.

>From all the responses I got from all owners not one had anything bad to say
about the 4 Sq.  I will try to answer all of the responders indiviually in
time.  73 Mike K4PI