Re: Topband: Four-Square Receiving Array

To: "Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>,"Nodir Tursoon-Zadeh" <nmt@at-communication.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Four-Square Receiving Array
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:14:43 -0600
I forgot to mention that each 20' vertical element had a top hat made up of
three 20' down sloping wires terminated with insulators then tied off to
ground stakes to guy each element.  As I recall is took about 34 mh to
resonate the elements at 1825 KHz.  Some additional series resistance
brought the total impedance to 50 ohms.  I used 50 ohm coax because I had it
on hand...75 ohm would be a better choice, yield better bandwidth, and make
the whole array a little more tolerant of element impedance variations.  The
performance of my array was good...on par with my 600' two wire Beverages.

73...Dave
W0FLS

About five years ago I built the short vertical array designed by Tom, W8JI.
I believe this was the first time the design had been built.  Tom, as
always, was very helpful in getting the array optimized.  I believe that
same design has become used by DX Engineering.  I used 20' vertical elements
with 100' spacing (141' diagonal).  I used 6 each 60' radials on each
element.....