Re: Topband: End-Fire Phased BOG,s ?

To: Bill McNeil <n4ji@firstva.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: End-Fire Phased BOG,s ?
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:24:44 -0800 (PST)
I did almost this exact configuration. It was a bit
longer and about 18 inches off the ground. It made
quite an improvement over a single wire. I did have a
lot of trouble keeping the phasing lines working
properly but that was due to local conditions.

The following year I raised it to 8 feet above ground
and  the drop in performance was very noticeable.
After much troubleshooting, I finally figured out that
raising the wires increased the interaction with
nearby structures to the point where the two wires
were not electrically the same. the standard phasing
techniques will not work unless the wires are
identical in pattern. Since I had to have the wires up
in the air in this location, I gave up and just ran a
single wire 20 meters between the two farthest
terminations and it worked better then the two wires.

I see no reason why the BOG system you propose
wouldn't work well.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA