Re: Topband: Key Clicks

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Key Clicks
From: Bill Barrett - W2PKY <w2pky@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:58:26 -0800 (PST)
In the FT1000MP series you can go into a menu and change the
drive setting. I have details on the MKV at

http://www.w8ji.com/ft1000mk_v.htm

Thanks Tom:

For users of the MK V that have a solid state amp, setting the "drive levels"
is very important to reliability of the amp since the power level spurs can be
higher than expected when actuating the microphone push to talk button;
Particularly if the Speech Processor is set high enough. You can confirm this
by depressing the microphone push to talk button and observing the output power
and ALC response. The peak reading meters on the MK V will record some
unexpectedly high readings when too much speech processing is employed. I had a
failure of an ALS400 which was probably due to turn on/off spikes.

73, Bill