Re: Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: How do you count the turns on a binocular core?
From: Kenneth Grimm <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:06:04 -0500

Tom Rauch wrote:
>> John Devoldere, ON4UN, in his book, Low Band DXing, 4th
>> ed. on page
>> 7-59, suggests that there would be one wire in each side
>> of the
>> binocular core to have a two turn winding (4 passes, 2
>> turns).
>>

> In manufacturing and in my own Ham life a "turn" is a pass
> through the core. In a binocular core a turn is *generally*
> considered once through and once back, unless the two holes
> are used independently instead of for a common winding.
>
> I started using the word "pass" with employees back in the
> 80's when dealing with toroids, as a "pass" through the
> hole. The reason for this is employees would often count the
> wire outside the hole as a turn, but that wire has virtually
> no effect at all on what goes on. It's only the pass through
> the hole that matters.
>
> In an air-wound coil you do not count the start. It is the
> zero turn. In a toroid the very first pass (or start) is a
> turn. It is turn number one.
>
> 73 Tom

The problem, for me, is in the apparent inconsistency in the 4th edition
of ON4UN's book on page 7-58 where he answers the question, "What is one
turn?" and the diagram on the facing page (7-59) which shows something
entirely different.  His answer is the same as you have indicated the
*generally* accepted answer to be, that is, a loop going through both
sides and back to the beginning = 1 turn.  However the diagram indicates
that same loop to be 4 passes and 2 turns.  It seems that  as the wire
passes through each opening (two openings on each side of the binocular
core for a total of four openings) you get one pass.  One pass as the
wire enters the first opening and a second as it exits the core, a third
pass as you bend the wire and start back through the other side of the
core and a fourth pass as it exits.  According to the diagram, these
four passes constitute two turns.  Apparently, the diagram is wrong.

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr