Re: Topband: Remote RX antenna

To: Björn Mohr <bm@broadcast.se>
Subject: Re: Topband: Remote RX antenna
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:46:38 -0400
Björn Mohr wrote:

>How would you best set up a remote topband listening station?
>We own a piece of land "by the end of the road" and I am thinking of setting
>up an extra RX antenna there .... it is a better location.
>
>Coax is out of the question but the distance is less than 1 km.

Bjorn, Why is coax cable out of the question? .....1 KM of RG6 cable
designed for direct burial IMHO probably beats all other options. (A
Ditch Witch with a vibrating plow attachment could do the run along side
your road feeding down the cable in the ground  in a matter of minutes.
Any sign of the small earth cut would vanish in a few days.)    You
could switch many RX antennas  through the cable (DXE has a nice unit
for that) and avoid the unnecessary expense of the remote RX, interface,
and wireless equipment. On the higher bands the loss of RG-6 of 1KM
could be offset by an appropriate pre amp as you may require.  If you
use only the pre amp gain to offset the cable loss on the higher bands
you will be in great shape to avoid I/M problems.

There is great available equipment and software now  for remote RX
stations via IP control but it is not quite the same as a good antenna
connected to the RX right in front of you even if the feedline is long.
Maybe you will have to bury the coax at night..past your neighbors
house...or get a utility easement.  This way is simple and straight
forward as well as being affordable.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ