Re: Topband: Noise during SP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise during SP
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:03:47 -0800
> I have been interested in the number of SP posts on 3830 that indicate either
> quiet or normal conditions.  That certainly was not the case here.

There was a very interesting noise here.  It came on during my one hour nap
which was from 0900-1000 UTC.  When I got back on the band, there was this
very strange sound on the band to the east.  It sort of sounded like standing
under a jet airplane that was flying overhead.  After an hour or two, it died
down.  Other stations in Oregon were hearing it as well (and I am sure in other
places).

During this time, it seemed that signals were coming in from a high angle
as the directivity on the beverages was destroyed.  However, I was hearing
signals from Japan and south-east Asia.  The band sounded more normal
around sunrise.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net