Topband: Noise during SP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Noise during SP
From: <w0uo@citbroadband.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:24:57 -0600
All:

I have been interested in the number of SP posts on 3830 that indicate either
quiet or normal conditions.  That certainly was not the case here.

At this location, the contest started out fairly quiet, but by 0400Z I was
hearing steady static crashes at S9 (with RF gain set so ambient noise was S0),
which continued until my sunrise.

There was a large storm, shaped like a giant comma, from northern Nebraska up
to southern Minnesota and Wisconsin, then back down the east side of the
Mississippi Valley almost to New Orleans.

My questions. Why the difference in perception of conditions?  Does the
physical distance from the storm determine the noise level at a particular
location? (further away not necessarily quieter).  What are the parameters?

73 de Jim
WÃUO