Re: Topband: Soldering ground radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Soldering ground radials
From: David Sinclair <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:32:34 -0500
Donald Chester wrote:

> Years ago I had a radial system soldered together using regular lead/tin
> acid core solder.  I had to re-solder the radials about once a month.
> Otherwise, the solder turned to a white powder, and the soldered connections
> simply fell apart.

I remember, years ago, being expressly warned against using acid core
solder for any electronics work. I have always used rosin core tin/lead
solder. I have found it acceptable for outdoor antenna work even where
the solder joints are exposed to the elements. Yes, it does gradually
corrode, but that happens fairly slowly. I believe that all such solder
joints I created have remained 'ohmic' (non-rectifying). I've never
seen evidence to the contrary. I'm not talking about buried solder
joints, however. Those I would always cover with adhesive-wall
heat-shrink tubing. I usually insulate solder joints above ground, as
well- but not always. Sometimes I get in a hurry, when experimenting.

I consider 5-10 years to be a 'long time' in antenna work. I don't
think that any of my solder joints have ever failed within that time
frame, even those few which have remained exposed to weathering.
Radial fields would perhaps be one strong exception to this- I think
they would tend to be used for many decades, and so should be done the
best way possible.

I do strongly support the use of silver solder- it's the best.
All I'm saying is that rosin core tin/lead solder has performed
adequately for me in 'temporary' (5-10 years) antenna installations.

73, David K3KY