Topband: Soldering ground radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Soldering ground radials
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:43:42 -0600
Hi, All

Thanks to all those who responded to my post about soldiering ground radial
connections.

However, there seems to be no clear consensus on whether the use of silver
solder is really necessary or not.  To the question of "How long does it
take for a Pb/Sn solder joint to degrade in the soil?" I got answers
ranging from a few months to 30+ years!  It must truly depend on the QTH,
which was why I was asking if anyone knew the point (ph) at which the soil
begins to have a detrimental effect of this kind of solder connection.

If anyone knew, they didn't clue me in.

73,

Charles - K5ZK