Topband: effect of trees

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: effect of trees
From: "Rudy Severns" <rudys@ordata.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:25:05 -0800
I noticed no one has mentioned Carl's (K9LA) March/April 2006 NCJ article on
the effect of forest on low band operation.

I got ahold of the two technical papers he references by Tamir which are the
basis for his article.  Tamir was working with tropical jungle foliage which
may be similar to east coast summer forest but it is not clear if the
information applies to coniferous forests like mine.  Being immersed in a
forest of 1/4-wave (on 160 m) vertical trees it is a matter of some interest
to me.

In any case, reading his article will depress you if you are a 160 m op in a
dense forest.  I don't think Tamir is the last word by any means but
something to think about.  There is also other work by George Hagn in jungle
forests which give some more support to Tamir.

73, Rudy N6LF