Re: Topband: Effect of Trees

To: "Chet Moore" <chetmoore@cox.net>,"EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of Trees
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 19:29:20 -0800
From: "Chet Moore" <chetmoore@cox.net>
To: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>; "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>;
<topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 6:57 PM

> Hi Mike,
>
> It is probably not the trees.  How many radials do you have down??
>
> 73
>
> Chet  N6zo

Chet,

There is a diagram of the proposed radial layout at the
following link:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Radial_Project/Radial.htm

The back yard is fully populated as shown in the diagram except
that my dog ( http://www.dellroy.com/Sue/Sunday_Movie.htm )
has been digging up a number of the wires. On the right side
of the house (south) I've actually augmented the system that ties
the backyard radials to the AC service entrance. On the left
side of the diagram, I have about six #8 wires installed between
the base of the vertical and the backyard, and I have about
ten #14 wires running from the base of the vertical towards the
front yard fanning out more or less as shown in the diagram.

Ideally I would bulldoze my neighbors house and run radials
further to the left, but I don't think he would take kindly to that,
so I'll have to refrain and stick with the little skinny patch that
I have.

The other thing to bear in mind is that I am on a fairly steep
hillside, so the backyard is approximately 10' higher than the
base of the vertical. (i.e. those six #8 wires are running uphill
towards the backyard).

The trees are just over the property line my neighbors lot
which is just to the left of vertical.