Re: Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Ian Keyser" <ian.keyser@btopenworld.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Ground Radials Yet Again
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:56:27 -0500
On 14th October Tom wrote...

> So why is it a problem if the radials are electrically
> longer than 1/4 wave?
>
> 73 Tom

...I don't think there'd be any problem with radials longer than 1/4-wave at
all, Tom...

I guess the point that I got from ON4UN's reference was simply that if a
1/4-wave of wire is the equivalent of a half-wave of wire when physivcally
laid atop ground, then why not simply halve it, so that now you might have
the equivalent of TWO radials --- each electrically 1/4-wavelength --- vs.
just the ONE radial, albeit a 1/2-wave long, electrically?

More is better --- in this case, more RADIALS, that is, as opposed to more
LENGTH...and what with the rising cost of copper of late, why not try to
maximize results with a minimum of outlay, getting "...more bang for the
buck"...?

I'm certainly going to give it a go this year at my QTH. It'll certainlyt be
interesting, if nothing else!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ