Topband: Radials Again

To: "Top Band" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radials Again
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:41:52 -0500
While searching the Topband archives for information on radials I came
across a very interesting bit of information submitted in October 1996 by
W1FV.  This information references a paper by Brown, Lewis & Epstein
regarding the number of radials of a given length, and vertical antennas of
1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 wavelengths long.  The paper assumes that all radials are
uniform in length, and from the information presented one can draw the
conclusion that there is a point of diminishing return with regard to the
number of radials used.

This causes me to ask: what happens if I am unable to place all radials at a
uniform length?  Additionally, while the information was applied to a
vertical, how does this relate to an inverted L?  My situation is as
follows:

Presently I have 32 radials. 16 are uniform at 30 feet. Two probably are
very close to 1/4 WL, and the remainder vary from 40 to 100 feet. The
inverted L goes up to 65 feet, and then 70 feet out across the house to the
front yard, which means that radials can be placed under only about 35 feet
of the horizontal part of the antenna. I have a 4X4 layer of hardware cloth
at the base of the antenna. So the question becomes; when do I reach the
point at which I am wasting time, wire, money, and wear & tear on my tired,
fat, old body? I have purchased another 2000 feet of wire should I need it.

Thanks & 73,
Mike, W5UC
http://members.cox.net/w5uc/