Re: Topband: burying radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: burying radials
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:09:10 -0400

>>Whats the easiest way to get the buried ones underground ?
>>

>It is not always best to bury.  Laying the radials on the ground, pulled
>fairly taught and pinned at the far end is easiest and fastest.  Let the grass
>grow a bit long and cut it a bit higher than normal for a few mowings and the
>radials will disappear in fairly short order.

If you must do something else why not sow them in.  Take a ground rod
and drill a smallish hole in one end and use the rod as a needle to
thread the radial under the existing thatch or whatever is on the
ground.  Lots of work but easier than digging them in.  Have you ever
seen an arrow shot parallel to the ground and noticed how it buries
itself into the grass?  Same princiipal applies

My 80 4 sq has two miles of radials under it.  I laid them on top of the
grass and pinned them.  They were laid in the late fall.  I "avoided"
cutting that part of the pasture (I can't call my weeds lawn hihihi) for
the first two mowings the following spring. Since then I have been
cutting normally.   It has now been three seasons.  No way I can find a
radial even with a rake.  I did catch one the first time I mowed, but
that was probably because I failed to "nail" that one in on the far
end.  73 bob de w9ge