Topband: Elevated Radials

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elevated Radials
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:19:18 -1000
Every discussion of elevated radials versus on the ground radials I have
seen, so far, just sort of ignores the difference in the length of the
vertical radiator. Many of you may be fortunate enough to have a one
half wave length support structure, so that you could really compare the
performance of quarter wave vertical radiating element with the feed
point and radial system a quarter wavelength above the ground, with a
quarter wave vertical radiator with it's base and radial system on the
ground. However for those of us not so fortunate, who are limited to a
total height of less than a quarter wavelength the comparison has to be
between two different length vertical radiators, probably with some kind
of top loading. I would like to see more discussion that assumes a
limited total height, and the vertical section length being reduced by
the same amount that the radial system is raised above ground.

If my radial system were one eight wavelength above ground, the
vertical section of  my radiator would be less than zero, or it would be
under the radial system.

Ken N6KB