Topband: elevated radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>, <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
Subject: Topband: elevated radials
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:25:43 -0400
Following N4HY's admonition regarding Gustafson's (N7CL) work
with elevated radials, I Googled him...and wound up in the
reflector thread on this topic, back in '98.  Still reading
the exchanges...and looking for the publication reference which
McGwier mentioned in his post... but consider the exchange,
below.   Jim/N2EA

<snip>

>>Don't elevated radials give some near field advantage over
>>standard ground radials when the ground is very lossy?

It depends on how many radials you are talking about.

I think a good case can be made that a system with four elevated radials
could suffer less total loss than a system with four radials
laying on the ground surface.

But as the screen density approaches the diminishing returns region,
it doesn't matter much whether it is elevated or on the surface.
There might be some advantage to elevating a dense screen if dense
vegetation was brought below the plane by doing so.

73, Eric  N7CL