Re: Topband: A question of efficiency

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A question of efficiency
From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:06:50 +0200

>I generally believe that a coil will make heat which will never result in
>a  QSO, whereas a stub, topload "hat" or whatever may provide some
>radiation which might help work somebody.

>Ralph Matheny
>.K8RYU

Ralph, a stub or linear loading can be just as lossy as a coil, in fact it
can be worse!I agree  that toploading is the best form of loading a vertical
but the 'hat' is not suppose to radiate. I would go for a single matching
unit and rather spend effort on good construction to reduce the loss than to
complicate matters using multiple schemes.But then, I am only keen on 160m!

Regards,
Raoul,ZS1REC