Re: Topband: Re-using Guy Grips

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re-using Guy Grips
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:20:46 -0700
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>

> My tower uses 3/16" guy cable.  A few days ago I walked around and
> inspected
> the tower, and notice that one of the guy insulators is cracked.  Don't
> know
> if it was lightning or if someone took a potshot at it, but it needs to be
> replaced.
>
> I have the spare insulator, and the old one is installed using Guy Grips,
> also known as pre-forms.  Has anyone had any experience re-using them?  I
> am
> wondering if I should order a new set (not expensive just for only one
> insulator), or if I re-used the old ones would they hold ok?
>
> Don k4kyv

Don,

There are two things to be aware of when trying to reuse the Preformed
(brand Name) guying grips.  First, in removing them from the cable, use a
small screw driver to lift the individual strands and get them started,
being careful to keep them in two groups.  Do not unwind them individually
but together in the same group as they were installed.  Do not bend
them!!!!!  They must retain their exact "preformed" shape to be able to
resintall and grip properly.

If you are successful in removing the guy grip in this manner, the second
thing to look at is the texture of the coating on the inside of the strands.
If the coating has not deteriorated, ie. is intact with the small granules
of gripping material, then the grip is viable for reuse.  If the coating is
in poor shape, then I suggest replacing the grip.

Milt, N5IA

40 years of using them in the electric power industry.  The Preformed brand
of guy grips were a brand new "better idea" item when I was brand new to
line work.