Re: Topband: QST Jun 06 RX Loop

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QST Jun 06 RX Loop
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:23:13 -0500

"The June, 2006 QST has an article about a 160m RX loop.

Comments, advice welcome."

73,

Tim K3HX

Tim, et al,

I just received the rag here. Very interesting this article, in light of
the many discussions on this reflector and antennas reflector,
concluding by our best experts that a shield contributes to NO USEFUL
function whatsoever in such a receiving loop! It just essentially
becomes electrically the loop itself; the shield's outer skin IS the
antenna. No S/N ratio advantage, no anything except adding to a very
critical balancing result. No noise discrimination, no magic. So what
gives with this mythological article?

73,    Roy     K6XK