Topband: Performance of Softrock V6 on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Performance of Softrock V6 on 160m
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:42:06 -0400
G'day Bill

You may like to pass this information along to those on the topband
reflector who are interested in trying SoftRock V6 hardware for
software defined weak signal reception with the Rocky software.

I am pleased to say the V6 looks about the best of the SoftRocks so
far on the topband.  A SR V6 prototype (built by its designer Tony
Parks, KB9YIG) was recently put through my friend VK6APH's lab and
found to have a MDS of -125 dBm (0.12uV), measured using an M-Audio
D44, with a noise floor of -126dBm.

Unfortunately, I forgot to test dynamic range on the V6 (!) but the
earlier V4 to which it is fairly similar overloaded at about -17dBm,
using a M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard.

The strong signal handling of the SoftRocks tends to be limited by
the need to have quite a high level of gain after the sampling
detector-type mixer, in order that the SoftRocks can work with a wide
range of soundcards of differing gains.

The M-Audio Delta 44 has quite a lot of gain compared to an on-board
soundcard and from memory, I am pretty sure it was the soundcard that
was actually overloading, not the SoftRock's mixer, when the testing was done.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ