Re: Topband: Help for Preamplifier

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Help for Preamplifier
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:04:47 -0500
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:31:01 +0100 (CET)
From: =?iso-8859-2?Q?Petr=20Ou=F8edn=EDk?= <indians@seznam.cz>

Rainer,

I am looking for solution of the same problem for long time too >
even I am still not sure which pre-amp design would be best to use. I
already tried the pre-amp with monolytic active amp from
Mini-Circuits MAR-8, also BF981 tranzistor...but always dissapointed
with results on band > the main problem was high noise figure, bad
IMD/IP3. General problem could be in PCB layout mistakes in my case
but I did not find any solution in magazines or on the web sites to
make just copy of the construction.

Regarding the filters I already tried the elyptic filter by W3LPL,
also Cauer BPF designed by me but dissapointed too. I think that main
troubles I had with impedance matching or so cause when I tested on
HP analyzer own filter seemed well but when I connected to pre-amps
the response and figures been totaly damaged...

Finaly I am using only 10dB pre-amp with BF981 unipolar transistor
w/o any filters only time to time cause in most of cases my rotable
Delta receiving loop for 160m has better performance (even own sigs
are weaker) then with pre-amps...noise figures etc.

So it will be interesting if somebody has any practicaly tested
solution to make a copy...

rgds,

Petr, OK1RP