Topband: Software defined radio receiver for 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Software defined radio receiver for 160m
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:39:27 -0500
Hi Bill

Those on the topband reflector who are interested
in trying a cheap high-performance software
defined radio for 160m may be interested in the following.

Kits of parts (including PCB) for the SoftRock
Version 6 with 160m components will be available
from Tony KB9YIG by mid-March and if anyone is
interested, they can email Tony at
<mailto:raparks@ctcisp.com>raparks@ctcisp.com
.  Tony believes this is the best version so far
for 160m operation.  The kit costs $14 US/Canada
and $15 for DX ? and contains some surface mounted device components

I have been using a Softrock Version 4.0 on 160m
for a couple of months now, using VE3NEA?s free
Rocky software ? see
<http://www.dxatlas.com/rocky/>http://www.dxatlas.com/rocky/
- and a Pentium 4 PC.  An 24-bit M-Audio D44
soundcard is used for the analogue to digital
conversion and provides a bandwidth of
96KHz.  The combination of Rocky and the Softrock
provides a highly sensitive bandscope, using a
polyphase fast Fourier transformation algorithm
that enables you to clearly see S2 or S3 signals
and that you can spread across your computer
screen, and a digital filter that is variable
from 500 down to 60Hz by a ?drag? of a mouse.

The version 4 of this little SDR ?sampler?
provides a dynamic range of 98dB and has replaced
my FT1000 for searching 160m for weak
signals.  For every four weak signals I can see
on Rocky, I can usually only find one of them by
careful tuning of the FT1000 (unless I cheat and
peek at the Rocky bandscope).  The
?sensitivity?/ability of the Softrock to find
weak signals on 160m is as good as my FT1000.

If you want to try SDR, these little kits are
great fun ? although a watchmaker?s
eyeglass/magnifying glass is a useful accessory for making/checking joints.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ