Topband: CQ 160 WW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQ 160 WW
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:30:42 -0500
SM6CPY wrote:
 >My frustration was that I heard weaker US stations calling under
the strong europeans. If I tried to call one of them I immediately
heard the europoean cry "QSY"
or "LID" or ... Evidently he did not even hear the other station.

         Same problem on this side Carl.  I had a very
strong local east of me calling CQ continuously with
no takers at 35 WPM nearly zero beat (<100 Hz) with
HB0/T94DX, who he was clearly not hearing.  I tried to
time my calls while he was CQ-ing so I could slip in and
out unnoticed, but eventually he heard me and gave me a
few "QRL LID" comments.  I ignored them and eventually
got the HB0 for a new multiplier.  I agree with W9GE
that an Orion with a narrow filter plus PBT can almost
make any QRM disappear unless it is exactly zero beat.

         My feeling is this:  In a contest nobody "owns"
their frequency if they deafly calling CQ-ing on top of DX.
People doing that should not be CQ-ing in the first place,
and they simply must live with others legitimately
answering the DX they cannot hear.  IMHO this is an even
worse problem in the CQ 160 SSB, which is why I never
enter it.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV