Topband: Shielded Loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shielded Loop
From: "Bob Beebe" <gu4yox@cwgsy.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:37:41 +0000
I have been busy building receiving antennas here over the last two weeks and a
couple of nights ago finalised my 160M set up for the weekend contest. Compared
to my Beverages I have, which are relatively short, my new shielded loop built
out of LDF550 really is working well. Signals are down about 10dB from the
Inv-L and Beverages as well but the important difference here is that the
signal to noise ratio is amazing. My very high noise level has dropped like a
stone. I heard VQ9LA calling on Tuesday and heard no other EU's calling him and
we made it 2nd call! Great, and another new one. I really took care of symetry
on the loop which tunes well by an audio peak method but my analyser didn't
offer much help. But if anyone is suffering serious noise problems a loop may
be for you. I'll try and put some pics on my site when I get time.

See everyone at the weekend. SOHP

73

Bob
GU4YOX