Re: Topband: Split frequency working - a different DX perspective

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Split frequency working - a different DX perspective
From: "Charles W. Shaw" <chasshaw@leaco.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 04:15:44 +0000
Steve, VK6VZ wrote:

>If I was rare DX rather than common DX (which I am), then I would
>definitely work split, as the angry pileup would quickly tread on anyone
>who trod on me...

         I understand Steve's point, and here is another related one:
This evening I spent nearly 40 minutes switching up and down the band
trying to identify 4 very weak but occasionally workable DX stations I was
receiving here in SE New Mexico.  As it turned out 3 of them were G and one
was an EI.
         The reason it took so long to identify them was that stations in
this country rarely stopped calling and very rarely at the same instant the
DX station identified.  Some of the DX doesn't identify for each QSO,
either.  This situation is quite common for us here in the mid part of the
States.  We are lucky this sunspot season to be able to hear much of
anything through those stations on or near the coasts unless the
"spotlight" is only on us or in the rather rare case where the DX is very
strong.
         Perhaps a few of those not-so-rare DX stations would appreciate
being able to break through to New Mexico, or other centrally located U.S.
state?

73,
Chas - N5UL
Hobbs, NM