Topband: Sunset peak today

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sunset peak today
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:43:18 -0500
Conditions this season have been mostly poor to terrible for me. Until
today I had not seen any evidence of a real sunset peak. Today was a
radical change! A few JA's were 339 briefly at my sunset and again at
their sunrise. Not workable but this is the first time I have detected
any trace of them at that time of day. Right at sunset 4J5A peaked 579
but he was focused on JA at the time. While I was calling 4J5A I
realized the other loud station calling him was SU9HP - who was peaking
an honest 599! Amazing! 4J and SU would both be new ones, but no chance
to get them in the log today. Nevertheless, it was exciting to see
conditions like this after such a long dry spell. Let's hope it is a
sign of things to come and not merely an isolated occurrence.

Prior to this brief peak the most exciting part ot topband DXing in
recent weeks has been repairing a broken Beverage. With the ravine wall
and river bank having dry powdery snow over a thick layer of ice, that
was quite the adventure! I've got bruises to prove it. :)

73,
Paul N1BUG