Re: Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?

To: <W2pm@aol.com>, <k9ay@k9ay.com>, <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:26:43 -0500
> I already sent a reply to Steve that this situation sounds
odd, however.  His
> transmitting antenna should definity have TONS more noise
in that
> environment than the AY loop whether it's vertical or
horizontal...

If you mean less noise power delivered to the receiver, I'll
agree. That's because a small antenna is less sensitive to
both signals and noise. It hears less noise because of the
small size, but it also hears in the same proportion less of
the desired signal.

If you mean better S/N ratio or readability of signals, I'll
respectfully disagree. :-) Any difference would depend on
where the noise comes from, and the how the response pattern
of the antenna happens to fit in with the dominant noise
sources.

That's why we have to experiment in a cluttered environment
to find something that works, while a system out in the open
can be planned and have virtually 100% success.

73 Tom