Topband: The death of 160m DX contests?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: The death of 160m DX contests?
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:42:45 +0800
G'day

It has been interesting to read the various emails about the CQ WW CW and
the ARRL 160.

I figure the CQ WW CW these days is only good for a station as remotely
situated from the rest of the world as VK6 to 'search and pounce' as one
simply gets stamped on when CQing. As S and P for new countries and my
friends is fun, I shall continue to S & P but don't bother to call CQ anymore.

The CQ 160 is pretty much the same game - the DX window in both the CQ WW
and CQ 160 are hopelessly full of big US and European stations and
pipsqueaks like me that are more than seven or eight thousand kilometres
away from NA/US just get trampled on when they CQ.

With regard to the ARRL 160, from the point of both of the increasing
inability of stations outside the northern hemisphere to raise anyone in
the contest and the emails that say that this is really a US domestic
contest anyway, I won't waste any more time on operating in this one.

Over the last five years, the great Stew Perry TBDXC has become more and
more two independent domestic contests, with lots of people running in the
US and Europe running QRP because of the high points on offer and having
most of their QSOs within their own continent.  I would LOVE to see the QRP
category in the Stew done away with entirely - then at least we would still
have one REAL 160m DX contest.

I just hope you blokes in Europe and the USA like working each other
(should I cynically say, like shooting fish in a barrel?), because if there
isn't some changes in rules to make life more interesting for fools like
myself in the southern hemisphere who are content to make half a dozen QSOs
over 24-hours in a 160m contest, we will be extinct.

Put yourself in our shoes.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ