Topband: Antenna Impedance vs efficiency

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Antenna Impedance vs efficiency
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:43:49 -0600
Topbanders!  The repository of all (ok most) knowledge about RF...

Some time ago, I gave a seminar to the local radio club about SWR.  To provide
an illustration, I used a visual explanation including a garden hose--actually
a series of various diameter garden hoses tied end-to-end.  I explained that
any transition from one diameter to another caused an impedance 'bump' that had
a negative impact on flow.  In my analogy, going from 5/8" hose to 1/2" hose
induced a higher pressure and reduced flow due to back pressure.  Going from
the 5/8" to 1/2" to 3/4" caused a loss of pressure after the 1/2" hose and
likewise an additional reduction in flow.  The analogy went over pretty good
with those members that, until that point, had no explanation for using 50 ohm
coax vs 75 ohm coax or why there was a need for antenna matching network--basic
stuff.

Lately I've been pondering the notion of the impedance of free space.  I'm told
that the characteristic impedance of free space is 377 ohms.  I have no idea
where that comes from, or how it is measured.  But I do know that the
characteristic impedance of a 1/4wL monopole, properly constructed, is about 38
ohms.  That's a ~10:1 impedance ratio.  What am I missing here?  Is there any
intrinsic loss attributable to coupling a relatively low impedance system to
the high impedance of free space?  E.g. is there any benefit to using a higher
impedance system?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com