Re: Topband: Genius Loci

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Genius Loci
From: Steve Ireland <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:08:04 +0800
G'day

I enjoyed Bill's posting about 'Genius Loci'  and there is a
practical/historical reason why OK/OM hams have this approach to topband.

Back in the late 1960s (?), the then Czechslovakian Republic introduced
novice licences and the main band (only band?) granted to them was
160.  Back in my early days on 160 during the 1970s as G3ZZD, I had heaps
of fun working these novices on CW - many of which are still active on 160
with OK or OM calls.

Back in the 1960/70s, it was the tradition for all newly licensed radio
amateurs in the UK to go onto topband, where they did their apprenticeship
by building a 10W AM/CW transmitter to go with their ex-WW2 military
surplus receiver, put up an inverted-L and try to work W1BB - and lots of
OL novice calls.  The then OK-land had a similar tradition to the UK.

There was a real genius loci back in those days and thankfully it is still
infecting lots of people.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ