Re: Topband: Best Loop

To: "wa4fki" <wa4fki@nc.rr.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Loop
From: "D. Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:05:30 -0500
After my performance in the CQWW (Single Operator Single Band High Power) on
80M with a top-hat loaded wire vertical and 800W, I have decided that a
receiving antenna is the way to go to hear the DX and attenuate the 4's, 8's
and 0's.  I have been looking strongly at making a single loop K9AY as my
primary usable direction is to the east.  Because of my location on the east
coast, I would have to fight the rest of the US to work anything early in
the morning.  Hence my reason to only to build my single loop.

Did you ground the loop with a series of radials?
What sort of termination resistance did you end up using?
Did you use a single or two loops?
What sort of pre-amp did you use?
Any construction hints you could offer?

Thanks a bunch