Topband: K9AY noise question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY noise question
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:11:11 -0400
I have a K9AY loop that uses the AYL-4 controller.  The antenna is in my
front yard, about 250' from the rest of my antennas.

Last night I happened to be listening on 160m as I went through my "shutdown
procedure", which includes retracting the elements on my 4 element SteppIR.
I noticed that when the SteppIR's elements were in motion, the noise level
went up about 50% on the K9AY loop on 160m.

Upon leaving the house, the coax to the K9AY runs in parallel with the
SteppIR's (shielded) control cable for about 15'.  After that, the SteppIR's
cables head to the back yard and the K9AY's cables head up to the front
yard.  They make a 35' run under the deck, where they are sitting on top of
crushed rock.  Upon exiting the deck, they are buried (in separate small
trenches) for about 20' until they reach the AYL-4 controller.

I'm not concerned that I have increased noise on 160m when adjusting the
SteppIR elements.  Its only for a few seconds when the elements are moving
and it's not too often that I'm on the high bands and 160m at the same time.
But, it had me wondering...  could I also be picking up other unwanted
noises on 160m because of a problem with the K9AY's setup?  Or, would one
expect to hear something on 160m from those motors spinning 250' away (and
80' up the tower)?

73,
Tom, NI1N