Topband: Shunt-feed caps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Shunt-feed caps
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:30:17 -0600
I recently aquired a hipot tester and tested the vacuum-capacitors I had
planned to use for matching my shunt-fed tower.

  The high-voltage caps flunked.

  I have two 5 KV caps of suitable capacitance that test well beyond their
rated voltage.

  The several plans I have are all over the map as to what the voltage rating
of the matching caps should be.

  My thought is that if I tune-up (the caps are to be motorized, and controlled
from the shack), using low power, the 5 KV caps should then be sufficient at
higher power.

  Anyone have any practical knowledge on this subject?

  73, Barrie, W7ALW