Re: Topband: Tuning elevated radials

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Tuning elevated radials
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:34:54 +0000
N0FP wrote:

>I'm working on building an elevated radial vertical.  After installing the
>radials, I have a question about what I'm finding.

And then described his efforts in balancing current between the radials.

I have been thinking about adding common loading coil to elevated
radials here (from ON4UN book, refers to K5UL I think) in order to do
better with elevated HF2 here (which will be my primary 30/40/80m
antenna).

Problem is that 30m TO goes squirrelly with radials any longer than
about 15m.  I wish I could model the ladder line stub-tuned radials
I mostly use - scaled up from Butternut twinlead product - now I
wonder if they are not so good for 30.

If the ladder line radials are okay on 30, then I hope that from past
experience: on 160, the HF2 just would not get out on just two or
four 1/4-wave radials - only after connecting the six ladder line
radials & the other hunks of wire I had deployed would anyone
answer me (this is HF2 up 10m, with a bit of top hat added to it).

Will be watching this thread with interest.

73, VR2BrettGraham