Re: Topband: May 2005 EET article about the DLM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: May 2005 EET article about the DLM
From: David Sinclair <k3ky@radioprism.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:22:20 -0400
ac7a@cox.net wrote:

> The article was titled “Tweak to inductive loading shrinks antenna.”
 >
> Vincent’s Plano Spiral Top Hat antenna, at 7MHz, was shown to have equal
> sensitivity to a normal quarter-wave antenna but at 50% the quarter-wave
> unit’s size. In addition, bandwidth of the Vincent design was nearly twice
> as wide as that of the quarter-wave unit.”
>
> From the modeling I did complete it didn’t appear anything out of the
> ordinary was occurring with the design. All of the losses I had added to
> the model were eating away at the efficiency.
>
> Even though I would love to believe that the DLM is for real, I am still
> having trouble accepting the claims and now the Navy’s test results.

I thought I'd not 'beat a dead horse', but obviously, this story 'has
legs' and is not going away any time soon. Vincent's antenna has also
been written up in some other industry publications. I saw an article
recently in Electronic Products, August 2005, p. 22. The headline
reads "Antenna Technology Shrinks Size, Not Effectiveness". Claims
are still that there is no "...loss of performance". Incredibly, the
article also states that "...the university is close to securing
several license agreements and prototypes have been developed for
numerous applications". BTW Vincent himself is listed as the person
to contact at U-RI. There's a phone number given. Anyone want it?

Within the next ten years, we can probably expect to see some press
releases on a 'new, improved' wheel. Performance will be slightly
degraded over rubber tires, as it will be hand-chipped from stone
and will run on wooden axles using bear grease as a lubricant.
Initial supplies will be limited, and they will be costly until
automated manufacturing is phased in- and they catch a few more
bear.

Well, most kids today think that the extent of 'wireless' is those
2.4GHz computer broadband networking radio boxes. The sharper ones
might also add cellular telephones to their short lists.

73, David K3KY