Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

To: w8ji@contesting.com, topband@contesting.com,btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:23:31 -0800
In my early days as a ham (50 years ago!) I was interested in the correct
direction to point a beam antenna.  The ARRL Antenna book provided a
simple equation for computing the direction (and distance) for short
path, which was defined as the shortest possible great circle path to the
DX station.  The text stated that long path was 180 degrees from short
path.

Since then I've always felt that "short path" and "long path" are exactly
that, and that anything in between is "skewed path".  No terms like
"geomagnetic" or "twilight" skew should should be used to muddy it up
unless one is discussing a scientific investigation about the subject.

Therefore I completely agree with Tom, W8JI, on what the correct uses and
definitions of the terms are.

73, de Earl, K6SE