Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:27:00 -0600
Tom wrote:

> I think it's significantly less misleading than claiming
> longpath when it clearly isn't. I understand it's a tough
> sell, since it doesn't sound like nearly as large an
> accomplishment.  :-)
>
> I don't know of anyone who actually *knows* what happens,
> although there are some good theories.
>
> 73 Tom

Long path, short path, skewed path...  Obviously, it is the ONLY path open at
the time.

Long Path is really an upper HF term.  Using upper HF as an analogy, I really
love it when working a pile-up on the direct path using low power gets me no
where.  Hitting the 180 degree button on my SteppIR beam gets me through on the
first shout--meanwhile, everybody else is pounding the short path with gallons
of RF and just making QRM.  Listening in Bi-directional mode often allows me to
hear the short path and an echo on the LP.  Now THAT says something about
"working Long Path."  I don't think anyone will ever experience this on
Topband.

73

Ford-N0FP