Topband: HF-2V Vertical vs. full size low dipole ??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: HF-2V Vertical vs. full size low dipole ??
From: "Jeff" <k7xq@elite.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:09:22 -0800
Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding the HF-2V vertical.

I got many responses and all seem very favorable and got several
versions of construction designs now to work with. The vertical design
or "HF-2V clone" design consists of a 40 - 45 foot vertical with two
base coils, top loaded capacitively ( for the 160 band addition )with 2
or more elevated ground radials. One of these vertical designs is self
supporting ( not including the capacitive top loading ).

So before I go out and begin building this vertical, I am curious about
is what performance improvement I would gain to what I already have
which is, on 80 and 160 meters, I currently have only a single sloping
1/4 wavelength wire per band at 25 feet at the apex with 2 each per band
elevated ground radials that are below the sloping wire.

Would this "shorten" vertical outperform the full sized 1/4 wavelength
sloping wires / Does a shorten vertical outperform a full size wire
antenna ( assuming they are both at a height of 25 feet, vertical -
ground mounted vs. sloping wire at 25 feet above ground )??

I can see that there is a real challenge to 80 and 160 meter DX which is
similar to my experience with VHF/UHF/Microwave EME ( the optimization
of the antenna )  which is what I like most about this hobby so please
excuse my constant rookie questioning. I already started reading and
studying the fine book by ON4UN, Low Band DXing, lots of very good
information !!

K7XQ Jeff
Atwater,CA.
Grid: CM97qi