Re: Topband: 6O0CW Spotlight

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 6O0CW Spotlight
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 23:00:16 -0500
> I notice they have specifically looked for NA/USA on 80/40m
> at times, but not yet on 160. Maybe once they have worked
> a bit more of the EU wall it will be easier to break through.

I have observed that they start asking for USA once one manages to make it
through the EU wall.  That happened to me today on 17m.  They were S9+ here
working a massive pileup of EU.  In the 90 seconds it takes for my amp to
warm up, I heard them answer no USA stations and I heard no other USA
stations calling (although there could have easily been backscatter signals
amongst the booming pileup of EU stations I was hearing).

My amp clicked in and I got them on my first call.  They immediately started
asking for USA or NA and did so for a while after that.  Unfortunately, it
seemed no EU stations knew what that meant.  But, the 6O team was
persistent.  They would not take non-NA stations and were obviously working
hard to pick through the QRM to pick up the stations they were asking for.

Perhaps the same thing will happen on 160?  Hopefully one of the big boys on
160 can get it started :)

Tom, NI1N