Topband: Contest weekend

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Contest weekend
From: "Ulrich Heuberger" <la0cx@halden.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:35:22 +0100
Hi Top-banders,

I only ran a couple of hours in SAP-mode, but
the contest was very different on saturday and sunday from this place in
southern Norway. While the Carribean was no problem (KP2ZZ, PJ2T and
VP2E worked without any problem), the north and northwest of USA and
"common" VEs" were almost impossible to work, although good to hear on
saturday. Even K9DX was weak on sunday morning, and he had a tough time
to be convinced of my prefix being LA0 and not HA0... Also VY2ZM and
KC1XX were weak, but heard very well. Sunday was generally poorer for
DX, but signals from EU often peaking 30-40 over. (rx/tx ant is only an
inv-L)

I often experienced an "either-or" situation what NA and Carribean is
concerned. Either condx are good to NA, or to the Carribean, but never
to both simultaneously. This rule has been confirmed many times in the
winter of 2003/04 and the last one.

Most interesting was HK1XX calling CQ for many minutes on saturday
morning with S6 on my K2, but being unable to copy one of the many EUs
who called. Even several big guns from OH failed to be heard, so there
must have been hight noise levels in Columbia, I guess.

Thanks for the fun!
73 Uli, LA0CX