Topband: Beacon Tribune - Mother of all Beacons

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beacon Tribune - Mother of all Beacons
From: John Ceccherelli <n2xe@verizon.net>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:02:19 -0500

Last night's code word was UMPH but I also accepted HUMP because it's the right letters and hump is a word whereas umph isn't.

Wow, what a great turn-out last night! 71 reports, 26 states and one Canadian province. By the way, we need more western Canadian stations reporting in. I know a lot of Canadians are torqued off a the USA right now but hey, this is Amateur Radio, let's put that aside. Besides, I'm one of the few Americans that can name all of the Canadian provinces and territories with out looking it up.

The beacon made it to a state that has the Pacific Ocean as a border. Two reports from Oregon which also jives very well with VOACAP and Ham CAP.

So N6TR, Larry (or Tree, not sure which he prefers) is the sheer miles DX champion at 2434 miles from the beacon.

Let's do it again tonight on 160 meters. Frequency is 1898.5 (sorry Bill, she won't tune up in the beacon sub-band). I'll be running 3 watts into the FRV. That may sound like a lot but the FRV heats earthworms more than the aether so ERP is probably more like half a watt. The FRV output on 160 is about -6dB compared to its 80 meter performance so the signal should be roughly comparable except for greater d-region absorption.

I've added a photo of the FRV with the high-Q 80 meter resonator to the beacon page on my website:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4z83c/id2.html
So that's what was spewing the signal last night if you're interested. Tonight's set-up photos are on the fly rod vertical page.

I've organized today's Hall of Fame by state/province to make it easier to find stuff. Hopefully the spacing won't get all screwed up...

AB9CA   DAVE    AL              K2/ATTIC DIPOLE
AJ4AY   JAY     AL              K2/WIRE
WD5R    MARLENE AR      EM45    1000MP/BEVERAGE
AK7Y    GREG    AZ              ZEPP
K0EU    RANDY   CO      DM79    1000D/BEVERAGE
W4FOA   TONY    GA      EM74    OMNI 6/INV L
W4FOA   TONY    GA      EM74    OMNI 6/INV L
K9HDE   JOE     IL      EN61    TR-7/K9AY
KB9ZUV  GARY    IN      EN70    SLOPER
KR9U    JAMES   IN      EN71    765
K3ESE   LLOYD   MD      FM19    MULTI-PIG/LOOP
KB3KJS  JOE     MD      FM19    TS2000/INV L
AL0A    GREG    ME      FN43    DELTA II/LOOP
K1FZ    BRUCE   ME      FN45    FT990/BEVERAGE
K8FE    KARL    MI              ZEPP
K8GG            MI      EN72    1000MP/PHASED BEV
K8GT    GERRY   MI      EN82    TS850/G5RV
NA8M    JOHN    MI      EN72    K2/ZEPP
W8VNZ   MARK    MI              706/LOOP
W8VXH   JIM     MI      EN83    570/BEVERAGE
K0SR    STEVE   MN      EN34    1000D/4-SQUARE
N0IM    DICK    MN      EN36    OMNI 6/SHUNT FED TOWER
KNZTV   KENT    MO      EM38    FT897/OCD
W0CH    DAVE    MO      EM26    K2/DIP
W7LR    BOB     MT              BEVERAGE
K8AC    FLOYD   NC      FMO5    781/BEVERAGE
W4ZV    BILL    NC      EM95    ORION/BEVERAGE
W1FMR   JIM     NH              DELTA/INV U ENDFED
N2NT    ANDY    NJ      FN20    "SONY ICF2002/17"" WHIP"
N5UL    CHARLES NM      DM82    ORION/BEVERAGE
K2HK    HOWARD  NY      FN22    MK-V/BEVERAGE
K2ZN    AL      NY      FN13    OMNI V/VERTICAL
N2WK    WAYNE   NY      FN31    746/80 LOOP
WA2UUK  HARV    NY      FN12    1000D/INV L
K22JAV  BOB     OH      EM79    K2/OCD
K8ND    JEFF    OH      EN80    1000MP/INV L
N8RN    ROY     OH      EM79    TS570/RANDOM WIRE
N8WS    BILL    OH              FT817/DELTA LOOP
NU8D    Tom     OH
NZ8J    TIM     OH              ARGO v/DIPOLE
WI5A    LARRY   OH      EN70    1000MP/BEVERAGE
VA3NR   CHRIS   ON      EN82    MK-V/INV L AND BUTTERNUT
VE3CSK  BILL    ON      EN93    756/BEVERAGE
VE3LOH  LARRY   ON              706/40M DIPOLE
VE3MGY  BRIAN   ON      FN03    756/BEVERAGE
AA7U    STEVE   OR      DN15    R-75/K9AY
N6TR    TREE    OR      CN85    BEVERAGE
K3SWZ   GLENN   PA      FN10    1000MP/INV V
K3UL    BOB     PA      FN11    746/PHASED VERTICALS
KF3B    ALAN    PA              1000D/BEVERAGE
N3NA    NICK    PA      FN20    765/LOOP
W3BBO   BOB     PA      FNO2    K2/VERTICAL
AA4H    CARL    TN      EM86    OMNI 6/K9AY
K8EJ    STEVE   TN      EM75    1000MP/BEVERAGE
W6UB    LARRY   TN      EM75    ORION/BEVERAGE
WS4S    CONARD  TN      EM76
K5AQ    DON     TX      EM10    BEVERAGE
K5BG    BOB     TX      EM12    1000D/BEVERAGE
K5TR    GEORGE  TX      EM00    TS850/SLOPER
N5TY    KENT    TX      EM12    MK-V/BEVERAGE
W0UO    JIM     TX      EM12    765/4-SQUARE
W5EMC   BOB     TX      EM10    756/OCD
W5UN    DAVE    TX      EM23    1000D/BEVERAGE
WA5ZJK  GLENN   TX      EM04    FT847/G5RV
W4EDS   ED      VA      EM96    746/ZEPP
W4TJ    BILL    VA      FM08    1000MP/INV V
W4WWQ   PETE    VA      FM07    G5RV
WA4PGM  KYLE    VA      FM07    1000MP/DIPOLE
N9NE    TODD    WI              K2/DOUBLET
N4ZR    PETE    WV      FM19    MK-V/LOOP
W8UVZ   GEORGE  WV      EN72    1000D/BEV ARRAY

E=IR, it's not just a good idea, it's the law! Shameless self-promotion found at http://mysite.verizon.net/n2xe/

N2XE