Topband: Another DXpedition 160 Vertical Idea

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Another DXpedition 160 Vertical Idea
From: "John Crovelli" <w2gd@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:51:14 -0500
At P40W I use a vertical dipole. The big advantage - no ground system required.

An 80/160 version of the antenna is described at http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm

I have just installed a standalone 160m vertical dipole, only 50 feet vertical, and it is superior in terms of performance to an inverted V at 70'.

Tuning the antenna was easy - adjusting the length of the lower leg. Try to pull the top leg out as horizontally as possible, but it will still work even with a significant angle toward the ground.

Good luck.

John W2GD/P40W