Re: Topband: FT-847 Clicks

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT-847 Clicks
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:43:10 +0000
SM2EKM replied to W4EF's query about key clicks with the
FT-847:

The FT847 clicks quite a bit on the break side of the
CW note.
I have measure my 847 and the fall time of the keyed
envelope is about 1 ms, that is far far too fast and
it´s natural it will click, needs to be around 5 - 6
ms to be more or less click free.
I did look on the schematic but at that point I didn´t
find a quick fix for it. Maybe one of these days I´ll
take the time and look into it more, I would like to get
it click free.

We once used an FT-847 as a temporary replacement for the VR2SIX beacon transmitter. It clicked quite bad on us, but was better when using the external ALC line rather than the front panel power control to bring it down to 10 watts.

As I recall, my FT-847 had serious overshoot when
throttling the power back from the front panel.  I haven't
used it in a few years as it lost 6m & down output &
the other two that failed like that here were due to an
obsolete, single source driver component.  I found two
& hope I will only need the one, but never got around to
replacing it.

73 & HNY/HLNY, VR2BrettGraham