RE: Topband: ? Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: ? Key-clicks FT1000MK-V field ?
From: "Barry N1EU" <n1eu@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:56:15 -0500

From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
        This is what is so difficult for me to understand.  What is the
cost of  a production change, which at the worst might be a new board
layout and probably a few cents worth of components?

One thing that might make it more problematic for Yaesu is that I suspect they manufacture current rigs (MkV Field etc) in very infrequent but huge batches. I was shopping for one a year or two back and found that every single radio on U.S. dealer's shelves had identical manufacturing date codes, which were 13 months old at the time. I queried and not a single Field owner at that time replied with a more recent radio.

I think the proof of Yaesu's intentions will be in the FTDX-9000 and whether that comes off the production line without key clicks. They certainly know by now what the FT-1000X series keying is like.

73,
Barry N1EU